Wednesday, July 15, 2015

300 Words on Feminism



I want to write about feminism.
I want to write about how much the word 'feminism' means to me.
But I can't find where to start. I can't find the right place to hook people into whatever points I have to make because I find it impossible to think that a person couldn't be a feminist.
I suppose I could start with the whole 'feminist vs. equalist' argument.
I could start with the fact that I've had other women tell me that men don't want a strong woman, they want someone they can take care of and protect.
I could start with the fact that its 2015 and there is still a wage gap between the sexes.
I could start with the fact that men feel that they can't tell others when they've been sexually assaulted because it'll decrease their masculinity.
I could start with the sad fact that patriarchal views make men think their masculinity is so important that they value it more than their mental health.
I could start by saying how my mother's view on women makes her tell me that losing weight and wearing proper makeup and clothes will make people like me more.
But I just can't decide.

Feminism is so important. Feminism wants women to have the right to choose what they do with their own bodies. Feminism wants men to be able to wear skirts in public without ridicule. Feminism wants people, no matter what color, gender, age, or what have you, to be treated as people. Without judgment. Without ridicule. Feminism is the reason that I’ve learned to love myself. Feminism isn’t about just women anymore. Feminism is a movement for all and Feminism is a movement that should be fought for until there is nothing left to fight for.

 

 

 


1 comment: